janeiro 12, 2014

Rock Candy, just a part of my childhood

This necklace made with sugar by Greetje Van Helmond
looks exactly to those Rock Candy we used to eat.

My parents used to visit my mom's old relative on every Sunday afternoon. We used to, literally, cross the city in a long trip to reach her house. My younger sister and I never complained about it, and in fact, we enjoyed a lot. We knew that travel had a stop. The pit stop was in the most rich candy store in our city. I don't remember a trip without a stop at that specific store.

The store called Kopenhagen started by a couple when they left Latvia to live in Brazil because WWI. Anna and David did handmade candy for selling on the streets. Changing their lives from medicine and piano to marzipan and chocolates the sells of the couple were growing fast. By year 1930, they opened a first store in Sao Paulo downtown.

In 1990 we were lucky to have a few Kopenhagen stores in our city too. The cookie smell, the European milk chocolate with almond, the sweet visual of each heart box and those candy were a dream for everybody. It wasn't different for us. Every stop my parents bought a gift to ant, a liquor chocolate box for them and candy for us.


Kopenhagen products in 1980.

My preference always was a Rock Candy, which always also intrigued me. How is possible to make a candy like a rock?  Nowadays on youtube you find how make it. Of course I'll try, it's corn-free, gluten-free, and full of memories.



--
Isabela: Brazilian, designer, works with automotive fabrics in the US. She did psychology college as well and had enjoyed a lot. She is living abroad for while, maybe because this she likes trends, cultures and behaviors.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Leave your comments here.